This page was designed to be viewed with a browser that supports Cascading Style Sheets [CSS] and if you are using earlier versions [pre- ver.5.0] of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator,you are missing out on a pleasant viewing experience. It is best that you upgrade your browser soon as most of the sites will increasingly make use of CSS.

 gniLogo GoodNewsIndia ::Magazine

The perfect world of Devkishan Lakhiani[continued]

Page:« FirstP  <  1 2 3 4 >

In 1987, he met Dr Khilnani who cured him of stones in the kidney using homeopathy. Struck by its cost effectiveness, Dada used his Trust funds to start the Hari Om Free Clinic in an apartment he owns. He doesn't stay there though- he lives with his nephew, as a member of the extended Lakhiani family.

'Free' should mean free:

Three visiting homeopathy doctors -who are paid small honorariums- visit it in turns daily between 9 and 11 am. He won't accept any payment, not even voluntary donation. "Free means free". He says the modest corpus is more than enough for the purpose.

"Oh, he is amazing", says Dr.Mansur, the only male homeopathic doctor out of the three who work here. "He is very knowledgeable; brings in promptly the medicines we ask for. He knows the ones tried before, all about potencies and so on. It feels good to be able to come to this free clinic once a week and treat people". Dr.Urvi Vakharia, who comes in twice a week says, "I have worked in some other clinics, but there is no proper handling of records, medicines are not available; but here, it is very ordered, which I think is because of Dadaji here. He's extremely fastidious".

Sometime in the seventies, the redoubtable Master Jethanand resurfaced in Agra, with no bombs in his thoughts. He was now the manager of the 250 bed Sundarani Charitable Eye Hospital. The old mates met every year, until the Master passed away a few years ago. Dada deputed at his bidding, a nephew to take active part in the hospital's activities.

A day in the life of:

Dada keeps on going, maintaining a punishing pace. His day begins at 5 am. Following a walk, he opens the doors of the clinic, tidies up, brings out the trays of medicine bottles from the cupboards, arranges chairs and adjusts an awry picture or two on the wall. He is present till the doctor leaves, puts away the things and then locks up.

After a quick lunch, he takes a crowded train to Churchgate and from there walks the 2 km to his office at Gunbore Street. He pores over details of management and accounts. He returns home at 7 pm. He has no car. Every Saturday, he takes the train to Prince's Street in Marine Lines to replenish homeopathic supplies.

Page:« FirstP  <  1 2 3 4 >


Send This Story To Friends

GNI Mailing List
Sign UpLeave

Write to GoodNewsIndia